AZ Roofing Troubleshooting
How to spot early signs of potential problems on your roof
Some of the ways to spot trouble on your roof include the following:
- Look for broken, cracked or tiles that have slipped down and exposed the underlayment. Normally a few cracked tiles only need repair of the area. An increasing amount of leaks or broken tiles (leading to more leaks) every storm indicate your tile felt underlayment is deteriorating and replacement is necessary.
- Tiles that have blown off or are missing. Normally this area only needs repair, but if a significant portion of your roof was blown off, a re-roof will be necessary.
- Excessive debris in the valley blocking the water drainage. Homes surrounded by trees invite debris into valleys and near flashings, which almost always lead to leaks. Proper cleaning of valleys and other maintenance will ensure this debris doesn’t ruin your roof.
- Look for shingles that have blown off or missing. Excessive amounts of missing shingles or finding missing shingles after EVERY storm usually indicate that your roof is nearing the end of it’s life. If you are unsure, see the tips below.
- Check for granule loss. If you see a lot of granules on the ground after a storm, it may be time for a new roof installation in Phoenix. Granules protect the shingle from the UV rays of the sun and will deteriorate faster if there is granule loss. Excessive granule loss means your roof is nearing the end of it’s useful life.
- Splitting- when you see splitting in your shingles, this is a sure sign of shingle decay and the need of a new roof.
- Curling- When this occurs; the end of the shingle will actually start to curl up and is a surefire way of knowing that you need a new roof.
- Flashings that are cut too short, or missing. This sign does NOT mean you need a new roof, it just means you need the proper flashing installed.
How to Maintain Your Roof
- Make sure that there are no cracked, broken or missing tile on your roof.
- Clean out valleys annually.
- Make sure to call Payne and Sons for a free check up on your roof.
Why use a licensed contractor?
- Peace of mind knowing that your roof was installed by a company who is certified by the state
- Having some sort of recourse if there is a problem on your job.
- Knowing that Payne and Sons carries liability insurance and is bonded as well
- Why do I need a check up on my roof?
- We can diagnose any problems or potential problems that you may have on your roof.
- We will be completely honest with you and explain all of the options that you will have.
There may be a temptation to put off needed maintenance to save money in the short term. However, in many cases putting off these needed repairs can end up costing much, much more in cases of severe water damage, mold damage and other serious problems. By promptly attending to maintenance and calling in professional help at the first sign of trouble you can have peace of mind and greatly reduce the likihood of even larger and more expensive problems down the road. Keep in mind that your home is probably your biggest investment.